Biometric Residence Permits

Biometric Residence Permits (BRPs) are for non-EEA nationals travelling to the UK for more than six months. They started to be issued from 18th March 2015 and and the program for entry clearance started with applications made from Pakistan.

BRPs provide a more protected, streamlined and rapid method for applicants and businesses to verify someone’s identity and right to be in the UK.

After the introductory program started in Pakistan, the roll-out of UK BRPs  continued in three further phases from mid April (China and India), to the end of May (Japan and Nigeria). The program was completed by July  with the roll out to the rest of the world.

From it’s start, Applicants now receive a 30 day vignette in their passport instead of a vignette with the full grant of leave (a visa for the full length of time). This is to allow the Applicant to enter the UK and collect their BRP from a designated post office in the United Kingdom.

The Post Office for collection and the 30 day travel window is determined using information provided in the application form when a visa application is made.

Renew, Replace or Transfer your BRP

Related Posts


  1. Have got Residence permit on my passport since 2005, AM Having problem with Employer to get my self a job, Your Advice please Thanks.

    • Most employers are now requesting employees with the visa vignette (usually ILR) to be transferred into the new biometric card format too. You This is especially true when your passport runs out. You could apply for a new residence permit (which will be the BRC).

Leave a reply

I consent to Immigration And Migration and it's group companies collecting my data.
This comment collects your personal data so as we can conduct work on your behalf. Check out our privacy policy for the full story on how we protect and manage your submitted Data!

UK Immigration

Business People & Investors
Sole Representatives
Tier 1 UK Visas
Tier 1 UK General Visa
Tier 1 UK (General) Assessment
Tier 1 Uk Entrepreneur Visa
Tier 1 UK Graduate Entrepreneur Visa
Studying in the UK
Tier 4 (General) UK Student Visas
Tier 4 (Child) UK Student Visa
UK Student Visitor Visa
Other Immigration Applications
Ancestry and Commonwealth
EEA Applications
Long Residence
Indefinite Leave (ILR)
British Citizenship
Other Visa Countries
United States

Work Permits
Tier 2 UK General Visa
Tier 2 UK Immigration Migrant Application
Temporary Workers
Tier 5 UK Youth Mobility Scheme
Visiting the UK
General Visitor Visa
Business Visitor Visa
Family Visitor Visa
Child Visitor Visa
Marriage Visitor Visa
Family Immigration
Spouses and Partners
Dependant Children
Extended Family Members

Businesses and Institutions
Sponsorship Licences
Education Providers
Global Mobility
Professional Partners