Application for a registration certificate or a residence card as a partner of a member of a European Economic Area (EEA)

Documents Required

Please find below a list of the documents required for your application.

It should be noted that the Home Office will only accept original documents. If no original is available, photocopied documents must be a stamped certified true copy of the original. Where a document is not in English or Welsh, the original must be accompanied by a fully certified translation by a professional translator. This translation must include details of the translator’s credentials and confirmation that it is an accurate translation of the original document. It must also be dated and include the original signature of the translator.

Please note that documents listed are carefully explained whether they are mandatory or optional. You should collect as many documents as possible and use it as a checklist to ensure all documents where possible have been sent as soon as possible. Where you are unable to provide the original documents, please explain the reasons by adding your comments.

The documents we will require from you are as follows:

Evidence of Applicant's Identity

Current PassportMandatory
Previous PassportsMandatory
Biometric Residence Permitif anyMandatory
Recent Passport Photographs (x2)(Photo Guidance)Mandatory

Evidence of Sponsor's Identity

DocumentNotes Type
Current Passport of your EEA national sponsorMandatory
Registration certificate or Permanent Residence Cardif anyMandatory
Recent Passport Photographs (x2)(Photo Guidance)Mandatory

Proof of EEA national exercising Treaty Rights

Document Notes Type
Registration Certificate or Permanent Resident Certificate (if none, please provide below:)if anyMandatory
IF EMPLOYED – recent letter of employment, payslips for the past 6 months, bank statements for the past 6 monthsMandatory
IF SELF-EMPLOYED – self-assessment tax return, proof of NI payment, invoices/receipts, proof business is trading,Mandatory
IF SELF-SUFFICIENT – bank statements /building society pass book, proof of income source; evidence of receipt of pension, comprehensive sickness insurance.Mandatory

Evidence of Relationship to EEA national

Document Notes Type
For spouse/civil partner application – Marriage/Civil partnership Certificate, documents showing you and Sponsor have lived togetherMandatory
For child applications – Birth Certificate, parent’s marriage certificate, school letters, proof of addressMandatory
Documents showing you and your sponsor have lived togetherPlease provide documents eg title deeds, bills, other documents showing proof of addressMandatory
Letter of support from Sponsor, family and friendsMandatory
Bank statementspast 6 monthsMandatory
Pictures together throughout your relationshipMandatory
Other proof of relationshipif anyMandatory

Accommodation in UK - whichever applies

Document Notes Type
Leasehold Agreement/Tenancy Agreement – including a description of property eg number of bedroomsMandatory
Land Registry Title showing ownership of propertyMandatory
Mortgage Statementsif anyMandatory

Other Documents

Document Notes Type
Home Office Lettersif anyMandatory
History of UK Immigration  Please list all of your trips abroad for the past 5 yearsMandatory

All documents should be posted or scanned and emailed to us to make sure they meet the requirements.

If you are posting the documents, they should be sent to: iam (immigration and migration), Suite 8, 225 Marsh Wall, Canary Wharf, London Docklands E14 9FW. Please send this as recorded or special delivery for tracking purposes. You are not required to inform us. You can track your parcel with Royal Mail (track and trace)

Please let us know if you cannot provide anything listed and we can discuss alternative documents you may provide. Once we have received the documents, we will inform you via e-mail and update your application in our records.


UK Immigration

Business People & Investors
Sole Representatives
Tier 1 UK Visas
Tier 1 UK General Visa
Tier 1 UK (General) Assessment
Tier 1 Uk Entrepreneur Visa
Tier 1 UK Graduate Entrepreneur Visa
Studying in the UK
Tier 4 (General) UK Student Visas
Tier 4 (Child) UK Student Visa
UK Student Visitor Visa
Other Immigration Applications
Ancestry and Commonwealth
EEA Applications
Long Residence
Indefinite Leave (ILR)
British Citizenship
Other Visa Countries
United States

Work Permits
Tier 2 UK General Visa
Tier 2 UK Immigration Migrant Application
Temporary Workers
Tier 5 UK Youth Mobility Scheme
Visiting the UK
General Visitor Visa
Business Visitor Visa
Family Visitor Visa
Child Visitor Visa
Marriage Visitor Visa
Family Immigration
Spouses and Partners
Dependant Children
Extended Family Members

Businesses and Institutions
Sponsorship Licences
Education Providers
Global Mobility
Professional Partners