Australia Will Extend Post-Study Work Rights For International Students

Australia Will Extend Post-Study Work Rights For International Students

The Australian government will extend post-study work rights for foreign students who complete their graduation with degrees linked to workforce shortages.

Australia will increase the duration of the post-study work rights for international students by two years. International students who complete their graduation with degrees linked to workforce shortages will be given more time to find a job in Australia and utilise their skills gained while studying in the country.

However, the Australian government has not yet specified the degrees which will be selected for work-rights extensions. The details regarding degrees under this category are expected in late October when the working advisory group will submit its advice.

Currently, international students who graduate from an Australian university can travel, work, or study in the country for two to four years through the Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) Post-Study Work stream.  Hong Kong and British National Overseas passport holders may stay for five years. Graduates can bring their immediate family members to stay as well.  

Additional Two Years

Minister for Education Jason Clare stated that the extensions should help Australia to increase the stay rate of international students. 

While the government is yet to announce the degrees included for visa extension, according to reports, nursing, engineering, and IT students will be the priority areas.

Post-study work rights for select degrees in areas of verified skill shortages will be increased as follows:

  • Selected undergraduate degrees will offer foreign students four-year post-study work permission. Currently, the limit is two years.
  • Selected postgraduate degrees will provide students with a five-years of work experience after graduation. Currently, the limit is three years. 
  • Graduates of selected Ph.D. degrees will be able to work for up to six years in Australia. Currently, the limit is four years. 

What are your thoughts on this issue? Talk to us in the comment section below.

Check out the deals we have found below and tell us your travel plans.

Check out the offers and discounts from:

And because of the pandemic, don’t forget to get your travel insurance, which will cover you for flight disruptions and pandemic related matters.

IaM can help with your visa application to Europe, the United States, the UK & other countries

If you need help with a US visa, a UK Visa, or a visa to Europe, including help with appointment booking obligations, IaM can help. For more information and advice on US immigration, UK immigration law and US visa applications or if you need any help or assistance please, reach out to your Visa Coordinator at IaM.

Some of our posts include affiliate links. If you choose to purchase any of these products, we might get a small commission. For more information, check out our TOS.


Leave a Reply