European Roadtrip: GB Sticker No Longer Valid

European Roadtrip: GB Sticker No Longer Valid

British nationals will no longer be allowed to drive outside the country with a car that has the over a-century-old ‘GB' sticker.

The new rule change by the UK government came into force on 28 September. Drivers of UK cars must now have a clear sticker that says ‘UK’ on it.

The UK sticker replaces the old ‘GB’ sticker. The government advises “if you have a GB sticker, cover or remove it before driving outside the UK.”

You don’t need to worry about a UK sticker if you’re driving to Ireland, but the rule is applicable for the rest of the EU. Those that fail to follow the new rule can miss their visit to a particular country as the entrance with those stickers won’t be permitted.

According to government advice, cars with any of the following will need a new sticker:

  • a GB identifier with the Union flag
  • a Euro symbol
  • a national flag of England, Scotland or Wales
  • numbers and letters only – no flag or identifier

International Driving Permits

The new sticker isn’t the only thing you should be aware of before you set off on your European road trips.

Some drivers will need to get an International Driving Permit (IDP) before going on the road. Although most UK drivers can use their normal licenses to travel around the EU, if a driver’s license was issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man you’ll need an IDP.

If you only have a paper license and not a photocard, you’ll need an IDP too.

If you do need an IDP, there are three different kinds and the one you need will vary depending on the country you plan to visit. You can find a list of the different IDPs at the website.

Driving Insurance

On 30 June 2021, the European Commission announced that UK motorists would no longer need to show a green card when entering the EU to prove they had insurance.

The green card is an insurance card to inform local officials that your car is fully insured.

But drivers won’t need to have a green card after a change to the rules this summer. Now, the standard insurance you have in the UK should cover your European trip without the need for extra paperwork.

Do you need to renew your passport? Talk to us in the comment section below. Or if you need more advice on the above, contact us for further travel & immigration advice.

Check out the deals we have found below and tell us your travel plans.

Check out the offers and discounts from:

And because of the pandemic, don’t forget to get your travel insurance, which will cover you for flight disruptions and pandemic related matters.

IaM can help with your visa application to Europe, the United States, the UK & other countries

If you need help with a US visa, a UK Visa, or a visa to Europe, including help with appointment booking obligations, IaM can help. For more information and advice on US immigration, UK immigration law and US visa applications or if you need any help or assistance please, reach out to your Visa Coordinator at IaM.

Some of our posts include affiliate links. If you choose to purchase any of these products, we might get a small commission. For more information, check out our TOS.


Leave a Reply