Russian Travel Shifts Away From Europe
European destinations such as Italy, Germany, France, Spain, and Greece have seen a significant decrease in Russian tourists.
The impact of sanctions on Russians, travel restrictions, and the fall of the ruble have combined to drastically reduce the number of travellers and change the destinations Russians visit for holidays.
A study by travel intelligence service provider Mabrian has shown the trends of Russian tourists in 2022.
The report revealed that Turkey, the UAE, and Thailand are amongst tourist destinations for Russians in the past year.
Countries like Georgia, Armenia, and Kazakhstan have also joined the list of top 20 preferred destinations for Russian tourists due to their close proximity to Russia.
- Unused Schengen Visas No Longer Valid for Entry To Bulgaria
- Spain Will Not Grant Visa Waiver To Kosovo In 2024
- British Airways Extends eVouchers Until Next Year
- Non-EU Must Register For Entry-Exit System (EES) – ETIAS
- EU Warning: ETIAS Not Yet Operational
- Post-Brexit Travel: What Changes When Croatia Becomes Part of Schengen
Travel Restrictions For Russians In The EU
The EU has imposed restrictions on Russians travelling to Europe following the invasion of Ukraine.
In fact, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Finland, Poland, and the Czech Republic imposed an outright ban on Russian travellers.
As a result of the visa restrictions and direct ban on flights from Russia has opened up new markets around the world for Russia’s tourism industry.
Russia ranked 14th in international tourism with expenditures at around $11.4 billion in 2021, according to Statista.
What are your thoughts on this issue? Talk to us in the comment section below. Or if you need more advice on the above, contact us for further travel & immigration advice.
Check out the deals we have found below and tell us your travel plans.
Check out the offers and discounts from:
IaM can help with your visa application to Europe, the United States, the UK & other countries
If you need help with a US visa, a UK Visa, or a visa to Europe, including help with appointment booking obligations, IaM can help. For more information and advice on US immigration, UK immigration law and US visa applications or if you need any help or assistance please, reach out to your Visa Coordinator at IaM.
Some of our posts include affiliate links. If you choose to purchase any of these products, we might get a small commission. For more information, check out our TOS.
- Finland Increased Minimum Salary Criteria For EU Blue Cards - 14 February 2024
- Biometric Passport Checks Threaten Eurostar Services - 11 February 2024
- Germany Approved Simplified Citizenship Rules - 10 February 2024