Venice Introduces Tourist Entry Fee
Authorities in Venice have announced that from January 16, 2023, visitors will have to book their slot to see the canal city and pay an entry fee.
Venice will become the first city in the world to require an entrance fee.
The entry fee will apply to daytrippers but not to those staying the night in Venice, who already pay a tourist tax.
With the ticketing system, authorities hope to ease the over-tourism problems plaguing the visitor hotspot.
- Travel From UK to France: Restrictions for Unvaccinated Travellers
- France Bans UK Travellers Again – Who can Travel to France
- France To End Health Pass Requirement
- Brexit: France Warns of Fines to UK Nationals Overstaying the 90-Day Limit
- France Omicron Travel Restriction: COVID Test Required for UK Travellers
- France Bans Unvaccinated From the US
- France, Iceland, and More Added to US Do Not Travel List
What you need to know
Travellers planning on visiting the historic city of Venice will have to register their visit, although those staying the night do not have to pay the entry fee.
Visitors arriving by both public transport and private methods must pre-book.
An online booking system in multiple languages will be available in the fall for visitors to pre-book their trip to Venice.
Upon booking, visitors will receive a QR code that acts as their ticket and should be shown to ticket controllers.
For those arriving by public transport, there may be the possibility to buy the entry pass at the same time as the travel ticket.
How much is the fee?
The cost of the ticket will range from a three-euro minimum right up to 10 euros. The price will not be fixed, but will vary according to the number of visitors: The more requests for entry, the higher the cost.
In particularly busy periods, visitors will be required to pay higher sums. This will occur when the number of visitors booking to arrive in the city goes over a certain threshold, which has not yet been announced.
What are your thoughts on this issue? Talk to us in the comment section below.
Check out the deals we have found below and tell us your travel plans.
Check out the offers and discounts from:
IaM can help with your visa application to Europe, the United States, the UK & other countries
If you need help with a US visa, a UK Visa, or a visa to Europe, including help with appointment booking obligations, IaM can help. For more information and advice on US immigration, UK immigration law and US visa applications or if you need any help or assistance please, reach out to your Visa Coordinator at IaM.
Some of our posts include affiliate links. If you choose to purchase any of these products, we might get a small commission. For more information, check out our TOS.
- The UK To Increase Minimum Salary Threshold for Foreign Workers - 28 November 2023
- EU Adapts Regulations for Acquiring Long-Term Resident Status - 27 November 2023
- China Announces Visa-Free Travel to 5 EU Countries - 26 November 2023