Most applicants for settlement must show that they have a knowledge of language and life in the UK.
- If you have lived legally in the UK for a certain length of time, as below, you may be able to apply for permission to permanently settle in the UK (Indefinite Leave to Remain).
CURRENT UK IMMIGRATION STATUS:
Time to Settlement:
- Entering the UK as the partner or child of a British citizen or a person who is settled in the UK - Immediately or 2 5 years
- Married or unmarried partner of a UK national or a person settled in the UK - 2 or 5 years
- Tier 1 Investor under enhanced criteria - 2 or 3 years
- Tier 1 Entrepreneur under the enhanced criteria - 3 years
- Divorce after marriage to an EEA national - 3 years
- Tier 1 General, Work permit, HSMP, Tier 1 Investor, Investors, Tier 1 Entrepreneur, Artists, composers, Writers, Tier 1 Entrepreneur, Tier 1 Exceptional Talent - 5 years
- UK Ancestry - 5 years
- Tier 2 General, tier 2 minister of religion, tier 2 sportsperson, tier 2 intra-company transfer, Sole representatives, Business Person - 5 years
- Retired person of independent means - 5 years
- Marriage to an EEA national, EEA national and family members - 5 years
- Any combination of lawful immigration stay in the UK - 10 years
- Any combination of lawful and unlawful immigration stay in the UK - 14 years
If you don’t meet the above timelines for indefinite leave to remain, we would need to extend your current UK immigration visa first. We can submit this application, up to 28 days before these timescales for you through the Fast Track Same Day Service or via post.
Settlement can be lost in certain circumstances and we advise you not to be outside the UK for longer than two years at a time as there is a risk that indefinite leave to remain can be withdrawn.