Long Residence Applications

British Passport - Long Residence Applications Leading to Citizenship

Applying to settle in the UK after an extended stay? then look no further than the Long residence applications.

You can apply to settle in the UK if you’ve been in the UK legally for 10 continuous years (known as ‘long residence’).

Settling (known as ‘indefinite leave to remain’ or permanent residency or PR) means you can stay in the UK without any time restrictions.

You must have permission to stay (‘leave to remain’). This can be in any immigration category, or a combination of different immigration categories for long residence applications.

You must also have:

  • been in the UK legally for 10 years (known as your ‘continuous residence’),
  • kept to the terms of your UK visa.

If you’re aged 18 to 65 years old, you must:

  • pass the Life in the UK Test,
  • prove you have sufficient English language skills.

Your 10-year qualifying period starts from either:

  • when you arrived in the UK with a visa ,
  • when you were given permission to stay in the UK.

Exceptions: You may be able to extend your stay for another 2 years (known as ‘leave to remain’) even if you don’t meet all the eligibility requirements of long residence applications.

Where any of that time you have been in the UK, has been for an unlawful period (i.e. overstaying), then the minimum term that you can apply for ILR under the long residency concession is now 20 years. The application process tends to le lengthly and complicated.

Our UK immigration lawyers and advisors assist you through the whole process of a long residence applications and can even process this application for you in one day under the fast track submission process to get you permanent residency. Get in touch to discuss your requirements further or to obtain advice under the Free immigration advice service.

UK Immigration

Business People & Investors
Sole Representatives
Tier 1 UK Visas
Tier 1 UK General Visa
Tier 1 UK (General) Assessment
Tier 1 Uk Entrepreneur Visa
Tier 1 UK Graduate Entrepreneur Visa
Studying in the UK
Tier 4 (General) UK Student Visas
Tier 4 (Child) UK Student Visa
UK Student Visitor Visa
Other Immigration Applications
Ancestry and Commonwealth
EEA Applications
Long Residence
Indefinite Leave (ILR)
British Citizenship
Other Visa Countries
United States

Work Permits
Tier 2 UK General Visa
Tier 2 UK Immigration Migrant Application
Temporary Workers
Tier 5 UK Youth Mobility Scheme
Visiting the UK
General Visitor Visa
Business Visitor Visa
Family Visitor Visa
Child Visitor Visa
Marriage Visitor Visa
Family Immigration
Spouses and Partners
Dependant Children
Extended Family Members

Businesses and Institutions
Sponsorship Licences
Education Providers
Global Mobility
Professional Partners