Tier 2 UK Minister of Religion Visa

Visas, Immigration & Nationality

If you are a religious worker within a recognised religion who ministers and/or performs pastoral duties, whether regularly or occasionally, you will be able to make an application to travel to the United Kingdom as a Tier 2 Minister of Religion.

This category is for people who have been offered employment or posts or roles within their faith communities in the UK as:

  • ministers of religion undertaking preaching and pastoral work;
  • missionaries;
  • members of religious orders.

Pastoral duties include:

  • leading worship regularly and on special occasions;
  • giving religious education to children and adults by preaching or teaching;
  • officiating at marriages, funerals and other special services;
  • offering counselling and welfare support to members of the congregation;
  • recruiting, training and co-ordinating the work of any local volunteers and lay preachers.

Work as a missionary can include:

  • the organization of missionary activity (but should not be administrative or clerical, unless filling a senior post);
  • supervising staff;
  • co-ordinating the organisation of missionary work;
  • being in charge of a particular activity such as accounts/finance, personnel management or IT;
  • translating religious texts – this is missionary work, not clerical work.

The work in a religious order must be in the order itself, or outside work directed by the order.

Working full-time as a teacher in a school run by a church or missionary organization does not count as missionary work. If this is the work that you will be doing, you must apply as a teacher under the Tier 2 (General).

If you want to come to the UK as a religious worker for a shorter time, you should apply under Tier 5 – Temporary Worker – Religious Worker.

Please, Download Guide to know the requirements and advantages of Tier 2 – Minister of Religion.

Tier 2 UK Minister of Religion Visa [free-consultation]

Leave a Reply