Family members of EEA Nationals

Family members of EEA Nationals

If you are not a European national but a family member or an extended family member of one, you can come with them to reside in the United Kingdom.

What you need to know about Family members of EEA Nationals.

You are a family member if you are the EEA national’s:

  • spouse or civil partner;
  • children or grandchildren under 21 years old, or dependent children or grandchildren of any age (or their spouse’s/civil partner’s);
  • dependent parent or grandparent (or their spouse’s/civil partner’s).

You are an extended family member if you are the unmarried partner, brother, sister, aunt, uncle, cousin, nephew or niece. You will need to show that you are dependent on the EEA national or a member of their household, or have a serious health condition and rely on them to care for you.  If you are the unmarried partner, you need to show that you are in a lasting relationship.

If you are from outside the EEA, you may need to apply for an EEA Family Permit. This permit will make it easier and quicker to come to UK. This permit is valid for 6 months and you are allowed to leave and enter the UK within that time.

If you would like to stay further, you can make an application for an EEA Residence Card. This is valid for 5 years and confirms your right to live and work here in UK. As a family member, you are not required to make this application but it will make it easier to confirm your right to reside and work in UK. However if you are an extended family member, you must make this application.

For these applications the EEA National will need to show that they are travelling with you to UK or that they are a permanent resident or a ‘qualified person’.

Qualified person is defined as being a worker, self-employed, a self-sufficient, student, or a job-seeker. Subject to further conditions, if the EEA national is one of these they can bring their dependants who are not European nationals themselves.

If you are a family member of an EEA national and wish to join your family member in UK please do not hesitate to contact us for more information and guidance.



Leave a Reply