New English language requirement for non-EEA national partners and parents

New English language requirement for non-EEA national partners and parents

Secure English Language Testing (SELT) English language requirement in the UK

David Cameron announced a new English language requirement for family route migrants on 18 January 2016.

Non-EEA national partners and parents of British citizens or persons settled in the UK will need to pass a speaking and listening test at level A2 after 2.5 years in the UK for further leave to remain on the 5-year route to settlement. Currently it is set at a lower A1 level.

The government is committed to ensure that those coming to the UK on a family visa improve their English skills over time. It will mean that the person can better engage in everyday conversation and thereby better participate and integrate in everyday life in the community.

The new English language requirement will be implemented in October 2016 to give those affected sufficient time to prepare for the new test. It will therefore not affect those required to apply for further leave to remain before then. 

The only speaking and listening-only SELT test available in the UK for the Further Leave to Remain extension is available through Trinity College:

GESE Grade 3 (A2)

  • 7 minute one-to-one conversation to check speaking and listening
  • Provisional results on the day
  • Certificate usually received within 7 days
  • Total fee £150

A Glimpse at the English Language Requirement in the UK

Since November 2010, non-EEA national partners applying for a visa or initial leave to remain under the family route have been required to demonstrate that they can speak and understand basic English. This English language requirement was extended in July 2012 to parents of British citizens and persons settled in the UK. Since October 2013, adult migrants applying for settlement (indefinite leave to remain) have been required to meet level B1 in speaking and listening skills and pass the new Life in the UK test.

Follow us for further details on this matter. Feel free to contact us for help with preparing for A2 level English test and any immigration enquiries you might have.


Leave a Reply