Taking Pets to the EU Post-Brexit – Additional £180 Fee

Taking Pets to the EU Post-Brexit – Additional £180 Fee

Bringing your furry friends to mainland Europe with you on a getaway is becoming costly.

This is another mark of the UK's exit from the EU.

The EU now no longer accepts ‘pet passports' issued in the UK and residents must now pay £180 for a four-month Animal Healthcare Certificate from their vet before heading abroad.

The rule change was actually put into effect back in January 2021 but travel restrictions around Covid-19 meant it went largely unnoticed until now.

On the other hand, pet passports issued across the EU Member States are valid for entry to the United Kingdom and can be obtained for €20 (£16.60). In addition, such passports have the advantage of being accepted in other countries in Europe such as Norway, Switzerland, as well as the United States.

Taking Your Pet On Holiday

According to UK Government guidelines, if you are travelling to an EU country or Northern Ireland, your pet will need a:

  • Microchip
  • Valid rabies vaccination
  • An Animal Health Certificate, or a valid pet passport that is accepted in the country you are travelling to
  • Tapeworm treatment for dogs if you are travelling directly to Finland, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Norway or Malta

These rules also apply to assistance dogs such as guide dogs.

Upon arrival at an EU border, you may be required to show your pet's Animal Health Certificate.

It is understood that the British government is lobbying for the removal of this red tape so that British pet passports will once again be accepted for travel into EU countries.

What are your thoughts on this issue? Talk to us in the comment section below.

Check out the deals we have found below and tell us your travel plans.

Check out the offers and discounts from:

And because of the pandemic, don’t forget to get your travel insurance, which will cover you for flight disruptions and pandemic related matters.

IaM can help with your visa application to Europe, the United States, the UK & other countries

If you need help with a US visa, a UK Visa, or a visa to Europe, including help with appointment booking obligations, IaM can help. For more information and advice on US immigration, UK immigration law and US visa applications or if you need any help or assistance please, reach out to your Visa Coordinator at IaM.

Some of our posts include affiliate links. If you choose to purchase any of these products, we might get a small commission. For more information, check out our TOS.


Leave a Reply