Marriage Visit Visa Eligibility

Visas, Immigration & Nationality

Are you eligible to get a Visit Visa to enter the UK to get married?  

Essentially, if you meet the requirements to get married or form a civil partnership in the UK, it is likely that you will qualify for a visa to get married in the UK. Essentially, you must be:

  • Aged 16 or over (if aged under 18 years, you will need the permission of your parents). 
  • Free to marry (i.e. currently single, divorced or widowed)
  • Not closely related
The marriage visit visa should not be confused with the fiancé visa. That visa is for when one of you are settled in the UK or a British national. The marriage visit visa is suitable for you if you have no intention of staying longer than six months or settling in the UK.

Once you enter the UK, you will need to give notice of your intended marriage or civil partnership at a local registry office to where you intend to get married. You should make enquiries before coming to the UK and as  soon as you enter the UK.  You can find your local register office online.

You should demonstrate that you: 

  • are 18 years or older.
  • are in a genuine relationship.
  • are free to marry or form a civil partnership or to give notice of marriage within six months of entry.
  • have enough cash to help yourself without working or assistance from public funds, or that relatives or friends can support and house you. 
  • plan to stay in the UK for up to six months.
  • intend to leave the UK at the end of your visit.
  • can pay for your return or onward journey.

List of documents required for a UK Marriage Visit Visa

You must be able to demonstrate that you meet the eligibility requirements of this visa. This is done by providing documents that prove you meet those requirements. Other than the documents list on the about page for all visit visas, you should also provide:

  • documentary evidence of your relationship.
  • evidence of your intention to give notice or marry or form a civil partnership.
  • any evidence of previous relationships having ended.
Once you start your application, you will be provided with a comprehensive documents list and documents pack.


Some of our clients: