Venice’s Ticketing And Entry Fees Postponed
The date for the implementation of paid entry in Venice has again been postponed.
The paid ticketing scheme was due to come into force on January 16, 2023, However, local authorities have had to postpone the introduction of the booking system as they grapple with logistics.
Mayor Luigi Brugnaro, however, did not miss the opportunity to reiterate that the measure is indispensable, given the current number of guests. “I will not force anything but I am determined to go ahead.”
Who Needs To Pay Entry Fees
Visitors to Venice will need to book their visit, but not everyone will have to pay.
The city planned to charge tourists who do not spend the night in the city between 3 and 10 euros. Overnight visitors who book a hotel stay will be exempt as they already pay a €5 per night tax. The new tax was originally announced in 2019 but with the outbreak of the pandemic, its implementation was put on hold.
Visitors arriving by both public and private means must pre-register for their visit. Some day trippers do not have to pay the entry fee, although they are still required to book. These include students, those travelling to see a family member, and residents of the surrounding Veneto region.
The entry fee hopes to ease issues of overcrowding and unsustainable tourist numbers.
The tax is also intended to relieve Venetians of the costs they now pay alone to maintain the city and its services:
- The garbage service (which costs 41 million euros per year).
- The maintenance and repair of the paving stones (Masegni) that cover the streets of Venice.
- Maintenance and repair of bridges.
- Maintenance of the quays and riverbanks.
- Maintenance of the city’s heritage, monuments of art, and other elements that you enjoy during your stay.
What are your thoughts on this issue? Talk to us in the comment section below.
Check out the deals we have found below and tell us your travel plans.
Check out the offers and discounts from:
IaM can help with your visa application to Europe, the United States, the UK & other countries
If you need help with a US visa, a UK Visa, or a visa to Europe, including help with appointment booking obligations, IaM can help. For more information and advice on US immigration, UK immigration law and US visa applications or if you need any help or assistance please, reach out to your Visa Coordinator at IaM.
Some of our posts include affiliate links. If you choose to purchase any of these products, we might get a small commission. For more information, check out our TOS.
- Spain Travel Warning: UK Holidaymakers Staying With Family and Friends - 24 February 2024
- Austria And The US Signed A New Working Holiday Agreement - 23 February 2024
- Spain Tightens Visa Requirement for Senegalese Citizens - 21 February 2024