UK Citizens Asked To Avoid Non-Essential Travel to Sri Lanka
The United Kingdom has joined a growing list of countries that has asked its citizens to avoid non-essential travel to Sri Lanka, as the nation continues to reel under an unprecedented economic crisis that has caused an acute shortage of essentials and sparked incidents of violent clashes.
Sri Lanka is going through the worst economic crisis since its independence from Britain in 1948, and needs to obtain at least USD 4 billion to tide over the acute shortage in foreign exchange reserves.
On 05 July, the UK Government updated its latest travel advice for people wishing to travel to Sri Lanka.
The Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) is advising against all but essential travel to Sri Lanka, due to the impact of the current economic crisis. It has been said that this advice does not apply to airside transit through Sri Lanka’s international airport.
- Travel From UK to France: Restrictions for Unvaccinated Travellers
- France Bans UK Travellers Again – Who can Travel to France
- France To End Health Pass Requirement
- Brexit: France Warns of Fines to UK Nationals Overstaying the 90-Day Limit
- France Omicron Travel Restriction: COVID Test Required for UK Travellers
- France Bans Unvaccinated From the US
- France, Iceland, and More Added to US Do Not Travel List
The current warning from the UK comes after a similar travel advisory was put in place on May 16, following a series of violent clashes and protests in the face of a nationwide economic crisis, the report said.
It was then lifted on 10 June, with Sri Lankan authorities saying that tourism would be welcomed on an island that was hit hard first by the pandemic travel shutdown, then the present economic crisis, it added.
The US, European Union, Canada, Australia, and Ireland are the other nations that continue to main travel advisories against Sri Lanka.
What are your thoughts on this issue? Talk to us in the comment section below.
Check out the deals we have found below and tell us your travel plans.
Check out the offers and discounts from:
IaM can help with your visa application to Europe, the United States, the UK & other countries
If you need help with a US visa, a UK Visa, or a visa to Europe, including help with appointment booking obligations, IaM can help. For more information and advice on US immigration, UK immigration law and US visa applications or if you need any help or assistance please, reach out to your Visa Coordinator at IaM.
Some of our posts include affiliate links. If you choose to purchase any of these products, we might get a small commission. For more information, check out our TOS.
- UK Electronic Travel Authorisation Scheme To Launch Next Month - 18 September 2023
- UK Visa Fee Increase Will Take Effect Next Month - 17 September 2023
- Brazil Postponed Visa Requirement for Citizens of Australia, Canada, and the United States - 12 September 2023